Steve Barnard was one of the three candidates for the new Nether Edge and Sharrow Ward in 2016.
“I live in Heeley with my wife and two children. I am a former City Councillor and have worked in community development for the past twelve years. I am committed to working with local people to tackle issues that affect their daily lives. Supporting local shopping areas threatened by large supermarkets. Protecting NHS services. Integrating travel services in the area. Ensuring local schools continue to receive funding to provide a decent education.Coalition cuts threaten vital community services – they are a government choice and not a necessity. People power is highlighting tax avoidance, bankers bonuses and further funding cuts are coming. I will fight to protect vital jobs and services in our community if you elect me as your councillor. ”
While Labour and the Lib Dems on Sheffield Council fight each other over small differences our city suffers. Green Councillors have offered real alternatives for residents eg :
- Opposition to the Highways PFI on the grounds of it’s huge, rising cost.
- Help for local people most affected by the proposed change to fortnightly bin collections.
Green councillors fought to stop the cuts from government unfairly affecting the most vulnerable. Our council budget for 2012/13 tried to cut backroom functions and the wages of top executives.
We wanted to :
- support frontline services like Citizen’s Advice and the Youth Service
- support children, elderly and disabled people
- raise standards in private-rented housing
- stop cuts to teams fighting anti-social behaviour
But we were voted down by Labour and the Lib Dems.