Magid Magid and Alison Teal
Magid Magid and Alison Teal

Outgoing Sheffield Lord Mayor Magid Magid has been selected in a ballot of all Green Party members in the Yorkshire and Humber to be the lead candidate for the European elections on May 23rd.

The second candidate on the list is Councillor Alison Teal, known across the region for her brave work in supporting the Sheffield tree campaigns, which included being arrested and seeing the Labour council attempt to put her in jail for her peaceful political activities.

The third list candidate is Cllr Andrew Cooper from Kirklees, who already works regularly in Brussels as a member of the European Committee of the Regions, known for his work on introducing Locally Determined Contributions into the Paris climate process.

Magid said:

“I am so excited and truly honoured to have been chosen as the lead candidate. Politics must change and if there’s anything we’ve learnt in this current political climate is that, we must have the courage to do politics differently – people don’t want more of the same and the Green Party can deliver that change for Yorkshire and Humber, having so narrowly missed out on a European seat last time.

“Remaining in Europe is crucial to us all, but particularly young people. They should have the right to freely move across 27 other European countries, to study, to work, to fall in love, to experience life and have their lives enriched by people from other EU countries working in their schools, colleges and universities and living in our communities.

“As a loud and proud working-class black Muslim refugee millennial, I know I may not be the usual politician, I get that. But our region deserves a representative who will boldly act on the issues that matter to us such as climate emergency and tackle the poverty, inequality and discrimination sadly rife in our communities.

“This is an exciting opportunity. We have a real chance to change the status quo and improve our lives. As Lord Mayor, I’ve been able to engage people and spaces other politicians haven’t been able to reach, while being an authentic ambassador for our region around the UK and the rest of Europe. I will shake things up, stand up to hate and champion a vision of hope”.

Alison said:

“In Yorkshire and Humberside we are known for speaking our mind, and the same values of truth, transparency and openness attracted me to join the Greens. We also share the values of social justice and equality. We must put communities and the environment ahead of private profit. “By investing in renewable energy, local food production, local businesses and manufacturing, we can create new jobs and strengthen our communities to adapt to Climate Change.

“It is “Austerity”-supporting politicians in Westminster who have increased poverty in our region. The EU has invested heavily in areas of social and economic deprivation, and we need this vital funding to continue.

“I’ve confronted state and corporate power head-on to stand up for my local community in the Sheffield trees campaign. I will do the same for the residents of Yorkshire and Humberside, who have rightly lost faith in stale old party politics. I am asking people to be bold, choose change, and let us show you what a difference Greens can make.”

Other members of the list are: Louise Houghton, a prominent campaigner from South West Yorkshire; Cllr Lars Kramm from York, a lawyer specialising in environmental and European law and a former Green councillor in his native Germany, and Ann Forsaith from Leeds, a former co-chair of the Yorkshire and Humber Green Party.

Comments

The Sheffield Green Party welcomes all comments but we will not be held responsible for any user comments. We do reserve the right not to publish comments that may cause offence.

4 thoughts on “Magid Magid selected as lead candidate for Greens for European election

1. Teresa Blackburn says

Magid

As a soon to be 68 year old woman born in a working class council estate in Leeds I think you are exactly what is needed to represent the UK in Europe. You represent everything I wish for my daughters and grandchildren and the UK – a multi-cultural, involved and socially responsible world to live in. You have done wonders for Sheffield. You have my vote and I hope many more.

PS I also think that the EU will absolutely love you!

2. Jef Goodwin says

Just voted Green, hopeful for a real change in the UK political landscape.

For nearly 50 years being within the EU has brought many many many positive changes to the citizens of the United Kingdom.

Culture, co-operation, new technologies, shared resources and justice, yes the EU has faults and yes it has capitalism at its core…but it also has social justice, employment / consumer law, and environmental protection of our beautiful plant at its heart.

Voting Green is the only way the voice of the people will be listened to, to ensure the EU continues to develop the right policies for the environment and citizens lucky enough to live in Europe.

Good look Magid, be yourself and push for environmental protection and justice for all!

Jef (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

3. Mustafa Jama says

Britain will continue to be a great country and and one of the best places to live in the world…in or out of The EU. Britain as whole voted out in an once in a generation vote. Those who oppose the brexit referendum are going against age old British parliamentary democracy and thereby creating a seismic division in the uk. Which would be totally tragic because UK will do just fine in or out the EU.

4. John Duff says

my good wishes and high praise goes to Magid Magid. I just read an article in The Guardian where he makes one of the most genuine sincere statements about the way it should be. There should be no bitterness, hatred, division, discrimination against decent ordinary people of the world. I am delighted he has become an MEP and wish him the very best for the future and his fight for equality and justice.